Tuesday, February 17, 2009

World Wide Chatting




Today's technology allows college students to communicate with anyone, anywhere, at any time. Between the internet, cell phones, e-mail, and everything in between, people are constantly connected. Programs and websites such as Facebook, AIM, Skype, iChat, and Flickr, and countless others have been designed to bridge gaps, and fuel communication and networking Whether you are studying abroad, living away at school, or living home, there are countless options available to keep in touch with friends and family. Technology connects people in ways never possible before.

For many college students, the means of communication they use depends on who they are keeping in touch with. "When I talk to my mom, I use the phone," said Laura R., a Quinnipiac University freshman. "I use Facebook for my high school and college friends because they can write on my wall and see pictures and stuff that my mom might not want to see."

Facebook, a social networking site is used daily by most college students. It allows for the sharing of pictures, video, words, and even has an instant messaging feature. With no cost to students who use it, Facbook is an easy way to keep up with what is going on in your friends lives. "I use Facebook and the chat feature to talk to my sister at her school," says Samantha D., a freshman. "Our schedules are different, so its hard to talk on the phone, but we post on each other's walls and get back to each other as we can," she says.

The sight is also frequently used to keep in touch with friends from home or high school. It also provides people with outlets to meet and network with people who have similar interests or hobbies as them. And, it features applications compatible with internet-accessible cell phones, so the site can be checked and updated at the user's leisure; with or without a computer.

Skype, a video chat program allows people to actually see and hear each other as they chat. The program is becoming exceedingly popular on college campuses. Mike M., a junior is studying abroad this semester and relies on Skype to keep in touch with his family and friends alike. "I use Skype to see whats going on at home," he says. "My mom likes it because she can actually see me and that I'm okay. I like it because its more like having a conversation than an AIM chat."


Courtney S., another junior, uses it to stay in touch with her boyfriend. "We love Skype-ing with each other. Because of our schedules we don't get to actually see each other very often and this way it's more like we're sitting in the same room. He can see what's going on around me and I can see his room."


Another extremely popular means of communication on college campuses is text messaging. Text messages can be exchanged quickly, discreetly, and frequently. Students use "texting" to make plans, catch up, and send pictures. Chris M., a Quinnipiac University sophomore says that text messages are his primary means of communication with his friends. "I can do it in class and its really fast," he says. "Plus, if the other person doesn't answer right away, you know that the next time they look at their phone they're going to see it and answer you. My friends can always find me this way."

The last major communication tool of college campuses is AIM. A program designed by America Online (AOL), AIM is downloaded onto virtually every computer on campus. It allows students to talk to multiple people at a time, while doing other tasks. "I prefer AIM, actually," says Mike P., a senior. "I can talk to a bunch of people at once, and my housemates don't have to hear what I'm saying."

James B., another senior agrees. "AIM lets you talk to a bunch of people at once, and still get work done. Plus you don't have to worry about who is in the room."

Overall, the technology of the day in many ways, makes the world a little bit smaller. Through the use of these tools, people can stay connected with each other regardless of time zones or distances. Mike M. says, "I like knowing what's going on in with my friends at home. Gotta make sure they're staying out of trouble while I'm gone."







No comments:

Post a Comment